I had a not-so-nice running week.  My legs took some time to recuperate from the 16k of last Sunday.  I had Monday as a rest day scheduled, then, against my better judgment, I ran on Tuesday.  It had been very windy out – around 30-40 km/hr winds.  Apparently, when running into wind, for every 16 km/hr of wind, your speed is reduced by 8% (so to keep your pace/speed normal, it takes 8% more effort) – http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/123.shtml.  That wind totally killed my energy and confidence.

By Wednesday morning, I was able to walk up and down stairs like a normal person.  I did my speed training of 5 x 400m, which was a blast.  I did want to try this outdoors, but I hadn’t had a chance to find a good spot for it (not wanting to worry about crossing roads, etc.).  This is something I will have to aim for this week.

I skipped my Thursday run.  I was feeling very tired and run down.  With all the running, I was also helping Derek put up our privacy fence around the hot tub right after work until around 9 p.m.  Don’t get me wrong – I am very happy with the fence and grateful of all the work Derek put in, but my body just wasn’t used to all the physical labour.

Friday was already a scheduled day off, so I took it, even though I skipped Thursday.

Ran outdoors Saturday 8 km (see the route from my last post – instead of doubling it, I just ran it once).  I started out with heavy legs – feeling like I hadn’t ran in a while.  Also, as soon as I hit Pinnacle Drive, I was bombarded by noseeums (those annoying little flies).  I instantly had one in my eyelashes, assumed some stuck to my face, and they covered the sleeves of my jacket.  I don’t even want to know how many went up my nose or in my mouth.  Once onto 108 Street/Highway 40, it was much better.  A bit of a nice breeze in my face, no bugs, slightly downhill. One of the legs of the route (116th street) had no wind at all and I immediately felt my face get very hot.  I just kept my head down, listened to my music, and powered through it.  As soon as I turned the corner, I had the wind back in my face again.  Bliss!  I struggled through the last few kilometers, but got through it much better than Tuesday.

Today, Sunday, I was due for a Long Slow Distance of 13 or 16 km… which, I can’t remember.  In any case, I let myself off with a 10k considering how my legs handled the 16k last weekend.  I bumped the pace up a tiny notch and managed to get a time 1 minute slower than my last race.  I’m feeling good based on that, I trust, as long as there’s no serious wind, I can get a new personal best on my next race in 20 days.  I may not be able to crack an hour, but getting a new personal best will be ok too!

I bought a new book on running: The Competitive Runner’s Handbook by Bob Glover and Shelly-lynn Florence Glover.  So far I’m enjoying it.  It’s not  something that can be easily skimmed through.  I’ve started it right at the beginning – it starts out with the anatomy and physiology of running, which I find very interesting.  I’ll spend more time checking out and basing my training on once my next race is done.